Friday, April 16, 2010

no turning regulations- updates with ticket traps

Gil called me the other day incase I was working to let me know of the police on 5th avenue just south of 42nd street. I'm about to get ready for a Saturday shift, but while I have a few minutes, I might as well input a few places such as this corner where police may be waiting for cars who dis-obey the no turning rules.

-No turns from 42nd Street to 5th Avenue

-No right turns on 42nd Street west bound onto 8th Avenue

-No turns from 34th Street to 7th Avenue

-No turns from Grand Street to Bowery

Some of these intersections have more rules than just the above mentioned, and some of these intersections have the restrictions in effect only during day hours, while others are restricted at all times.

I can tell you this though- these rules are in effect everyday of the week including Sunday, and practically everyday at every hour that the rules are in effect there is a police car waiting to give you a ticket.

The Bowery south of Grand Street is particularly tricky as they use one unmarked car that sits at the bus stop. This is just a sample of no turning spots where you may get ticketed. Patrolling cars may give you a ticket for a whole bunch of intersections where you can't make a left from Delancey Street near the bridge, or during weekdays in midtown, there may be a police van parked at a corner waiting to give tickets to cars that turn from crosstown streets in the middle of the day on certain streets with such restrictions.

To avoid 34th street and 42nd street turning regulations, I avoid driving empty on 34th street and 42nd street after 7 am , so I don't have to deal with picking up someone who needs a turn where a turn can't be made. If worse comes to worse, just tell them that it'd be better to take a cab from the other street that you can't turn on, and don't charge them for sitting in your cab. Plus Gil warned of a Port Authority cop by the bus terminal at 42nd watching for cars that don't stop at the red light in the middle of the block. I would still take 34th or 42nd if I have a ride that needs to go all the way across town, but otherwise the turns are few and far between.

Working at night, I assume has less of these ticket traps, but on the other hand there is no traffic, and police might watch more closely for going through reds and changing multiple lanes at once.

Another way to get easily stuck with a ticket is when you decide to wait somewhere double parked, out of nowhere a cop car comes from behind at night, they even might pull in front and block an entire line of taxis and give tickets. During the daytime a traffic cop could walk up to your car and zap your window registration with their ticket printer. I've seen cop cars give tickets for double parked waiting taxis at 7th Avenue and 17th Street in front of Cafeteria restaurant, at 7th Avenue and Vandam at the club over there, pulling in front of everyone. I almost got a ticket there for waiting at the hydrant on the north side of Vandam, the police thought about pulling in front of my car, waiting for me to go and then playing the gas pedal game with me until they figured they could pull in front of the whole taxi line and give them all tickets. And when I pulled out to go around the taxi line, they almost didn't let me go, their car was blocking two lanes, and I couldn't get past because of the bollards dividing seventh avenue for the holland tunnel, I told them nicely that I was waiting far from the taxi line and wasn't blocking traffic. the cop told me I can't park there, I told him I wasn't parked, so he told his partner to move the car and let me get by. Watch them, they come from no where, and they look for cabs who pull over for longer then a minute or two, and they race over and get them from a few blocks away.

The TLC will also sometimes pull up to a hotel line in an undercover car, perhaps a white Toyota Prius, or a blue Ford Escape, and they'll watch the line for double parkers, and phone users. They also drive around and look too. And of course there are the tlc agents and police in the unmarked Crown Victoria who watch for sudden lane changes or phone use.

No comments:

Post a Comment